Boards, Commission, and Committees

Briley Township Officials:
Ken Werner, Supervisor,
Phil LaMore, Clerk,
Vanessa Werner, Treasurer,
Evelyn White, Trustee
Kortney South, Trustee
Dave L. Guest, Zoning Administrator / Ordinance Enforcement Officer
Alan Berg Assessment, Tax Assessor,

Established in 1881, Briley Township was one of the three original townships in Montmorency County, but is now one of eight. It is a General Law Township with a land area of 68.4 square miles. Its population according to the 2000 census is 2,029 persons, an increase of 11% from 1990 when the census recorded 1,831.

Briley Township, home to the unincorporated village of Atlanta, is located on the 45th Parallel. This latitudinal line which marks equal distance between the Equator and the North Pole, passes through the community and divides the northern half of the township from the southern half. Atlanta is the only town in Michigan that actually sits on the 45th Parallel.

The town of Atlanta was incorporated as a village for a short time in the 1800’s, but has since reverted to township government. Atlanta was named the county seat by an election vote in 1893, and by an act of the Legislature in 1986 received its official designation as the “Elk Capital of Michigan.”

Briley Township Non-Discrimination Statement

“In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and reprisal. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs).

Briley Township Nondiscrimination Statement Summary:
“This institution is an equal opportunity provider, and employer.”

Briley Township Nondiscrimination Statement (Revised 07/31/14)

“This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint for or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at”

%d bloggers like this: